by Brenda Krekeler
This mill site was established in 1816 by John Nimmon. It was later purchased by Jacob A. Kister. In 1845, Kister converted the gristmill into a woolen mill and operated it until 1875 when Daniel Methven bought the mill. Methven allowed the mill to sit inactive. In 1881 John A. Kister acquired the mill and placed it back into operation as a gristmill. In 1894, Kister replaced the mill building with the present structure.
John Kister's son George C. Kister assisted his father in the mill and eventually assumed the mill's operations. George's son Guy S. Kister became the new owner of the mill in 1934. Guy operated the mill until 1968 when he sold it to Jim Strock and John Halloran.
When the mill was rebuilt in 1894, it was designed to accommodate additional activities that included a cider press, a planing mill and a sawmill. All of these functions were water-powered. Millbrook Creek supplies the water to the 1/2-mile millrace and a pipe carries the water from the millpond to a pen stock above the waterwheel. The interior waterwheel is 4' wide and has an 18.5' diameter that provides 11 horsepower.
Today, the mill continues to function as a planing mill, sawmill, cider mill and gristmill. The area surrounding the mill is well maintained. A visit to Kister's Mill is fun because of the variety of activities. (Chidsey; "Kister Mill."; Garber).