The Morrow Roller Mill was built in 1833 by Martin Whitacre. The construction was completed in 1836 and the flourmill opened for business. Whitacre dug the mile long millrace creating an island between the millrace, and the Little Miami River. The building originally stood 4 1/2 stories. The building was constructed with a cut stone foundation. The exterior of the building was brick made from local soils.
The mill suffered some financial difficulties throughout the years but generally enjoyed a successful business. There were dozens of owners during the Morrow Roller Mills history.
Today, the mill stands on the Little Miami River, crumbling. The roof has been gone for a long time. The upper levels of the brick walls are seriously deteriorated. The brick was painted white a long time ago. Now the light brown color of the brick is showing through the paint.
The millrace is well defined and maintained. At one time, the island was a recreation area that had a dancehall, baseball diamond, picnic area and a swimming area. Today the island is mowed regularly and the millrace area is attractive. The stone work that held the sluice gates is still in place at the head of the millrace.
Aside from the millrace and river, the mill is a disappointment. Only with some real imagination can you picture the mill's past activity. It is difficult to get past the clutter and deterioration of the building. ("The Morrow Mill").