Old Mills in the United States
E-Mail Us
Ohio Mills by County & Mill Names

 

Gladstone Mill (Now Barn)

The Gladstone Mill was constructed in 1813 and was 30' X 40'. The Gladstone Brothers, William and David, owned the mill in the 1860's. They rebuilt the mill, making it 30' X 60' and built an up-and-down sawmill on the north side of the mill building. The mill always ran two run of stones and at one time it is thought to have ran three run of stones. Gladstone Mill functioned as a gristmill from 1813 through 1913. White Cottage, the local town, was subjected to the damaging waters of the 1913 Flood that devastated the millrace and waterwheel. Repairs to place the mill back into operation were cost prohibitive and Gladstone Mill never functioned again. (Garber)

Today, Gladstone Mill is still standing on Jonathan Creek. The 3 1/2-story structure has all of its windows and doors boarded. The exterior is sided with naturally weathered lap siding. It is currently being used to store animal feed. The mill area is surrounded with fencing that encloses a feed lot.

DIRECTIONS: Muskingum County. Newton Township. From Zanesville, S.R. 22 southwest 4 to 5 miles, left (east) on Limestone Valley Road, 1+ miles, left on Gladstone Drive behind a funeral home.

 

Gladstone Mill, Muskingum County, Ohio.  Exterior.  Now a barn.

Top of Page