The Stockport Mill site was established in 1842. The first mill was consumed by fire in 1849. Another mill was built that year. The second mill flourished for 54 years when it suffered another devastating fire. The present mill building was constructed in 1907. The Stockport Mill was built with hand-hewed beams and stands today much as it did in 1907.
Stockport Mill's main building stands 3 1/2 stories tall. The south side of the mill has a 2-story addition. The entire building is supported by a block foundation that is about 30' tall. The block foundation and basement is constructed in such a manner as to let the waters from the Muskingum River flow in the basement from above the dam, through the giant turbines that used to power the mill and exit on the south side of the mill into the river past the dam.
The photograph of the mill was taken in March, 1991, when the river was so high that when it flowed over the dam it created considerable white water and spray.
Landmark Company owned the mill from 1944 until 1974 when it was purchased by Jack Grove and his son Robert. The Grove's operate Stockport Mill as a feed mill. They are pursuing the idea of generating hydroelectric power in the mill, selling the electricity to an electric company, and using the funds to restore the mill. Wouldn't it be marvelous to have the old mill generate the funds necessitated for its restoration! (Grove, Robert)