By Brenda Krekeler
This mill site was established in 1804 by Philip Gunckel. He led a group of German settlers from Berks County, Pennsylvania, to the Twin Creek Valley. He constructed a sawmill and gristmill at this site and platted the town with Main Street leading from the mill.
In 1830 Lewis Shuey, Philip Gunckel's son-in-law, purchased the mill. Lewis Shuey rebuilt the mill in 1845 and that 3 1/2-story structure still stands today. In 1888, the mill became a cigar manufacturing plant and warehoused tobacco. At that time a 2-story addition with a flat roof was added to the mill building.
As of 1988, the Shuey Mill stands almost vacant. It may be used for some storage. Until just recently, it housed an antique store. The mill building is constructed with red brick and a tin roof. The entire building has many windows. Most of the windows are 6 over 6 double-hung windows, but there are some that are 8 over 8. Each window has a stone sill. What makes the building appear unusual is the heavily molded Victorian lintels above each window.
The mill is striking because of its architecture. As of 2012, Shuey Mill is a private residence. (Gannon, "Shuey's Mill.")