Old Mills in the United States
E-Mail Us
Ohio Mills by County & Mill Names

Lock Two Mill

The mill site at Lock Two was established in 1833 as a sawmill. John Garmhausen, born in Osemberg, Germany, purchased the sawmill in 1852 with monies he received from his adventure and success in the California Gold Rush. The 20-year old Garmhausen converted the sawmill into a flourmill. Located on the Miami-Erie Canal, the Garmhausen Flour Mill enjoyed tremendous success during the canal days.

John Garmhausen married Mary Strausburg in 1854 and had three sons; Benjamin, Charles, and Florenz. Until 1903, the mill was called Garmhausen Brothers. An arson fire and explosion from a keg of gun powder, leveled the building in 1903. By 1904, the present mill was constructed, and was renamed the Lock Two Grain and Milling Company. The name was taken from the mill's location at Lock Number Two on the Miami-Erie Canal.

The flourmill ground wheat with stones powered by waters from the canal into the early 1900's. Eventually, the power source was changed to steam, then natural gas and finally diesel fuel. When the mill ran on waterpower, it ground wheat, buckwheat, rye and corn for the local market. In the middle 1900's, the mill ground for additional markets that included cookie and cracker companies, ice cream cone makers, and breading for chicken. In addition to these operations, Lock Two Mill provided animal feed for a large market. During the 1900's the mill employed 14 workers.

Lock Two Mill operated until April 13, 1981. An auction was held but the 3.84 acres and the mill buildings were not sold.

Today, Lock Two Mill sits on the quiet square of a once thriving little community. Surrounded with miscellaneous, one story frame buildings, the three story square brick building is evidence of the once active flourmill. The mill is closed and the interior is not accessible. The canal at the mill sight has become overgrown and is also not accessible. The area offers a rich history and the potential for a successful restoration. ("County History Remains In Lock Two."; "Lock Two Mill Ends 150-Year Tradition."; "Quiet Crossroad Now.").

DIRECTIONS: Auglaize County. German Township. From New Bremen, north on S.R. 66, .5 mile, right on Lock Two Road (T.R. 70), .5 mile, on right.



Lock Two Mill, Auglaize County, Ohio
Lock Two Mill, Auglaize County, Ohio
Lock Two Mill, Auglaize County, Ohio Back Side of Building
Lock Two Mill, Auglaize County, Ohio Architectual Front of Building
Lock Two Mill, Auglaize County, Ohio. Front of Building Architectual Structure

Top of Page