Old Mills in the United States
E-Mail Us
Michigan Mills by County & Mill Names


Dundee Mill, Dundee Michigan
The following 2 presentations are courtesy of
Douglas Heinlen in his pictorial and historical documentation of
The Old Mill and Dam in Dundee, Michigan
This is 1 of 2 Historical & Pictorial Presentation
by Douglas Heinlen
This is 2 of 2 Historical & Pictorial Presentation
by Douglas Heinlen

Thank you Douglas Heinlen
for your genrous photograhs and history of Dundee Mill.

An Exceptional History for Everyone to Enjoy !

The Historical Preservation Society of Dundee, 242 Toledo Street, Dundee, MI 48131

Click Here for Google Map




Dundee Mill - Brief History

By Brenda Krekeler
Dundee’s first saw mill was built at the Dundee Mill site in 1824 by Riley Ingersoll and Samuel and William Gale.   A brush and dirt dam was constructed across the River Raisin in 1827 by Riley Ingersoll and George Wilcox.

Sybrant Van Nest made the saw mill into into a grist mill in 1832.  A log dam was construced at the Dundee Milll site in 1846.

The current Dundee Mill was built around 1849 by Alfred Wilkerson with the present three levels.  The mill was constructed with 10” X 10” columns.  All treenails were used with oak.  The Wilkerson Family sold the mill in 1880 to Henry Smith for $8,000. In 1882 Captain R. B. Davis bought the mill. 

Once the mill was owned by Captain Davis he constructed a rafter dam in 1897 with an unused railroad bridge.  The railroad timbers were floated up the River Raisin to the mill site.  Captain Davis ground flour and feed until 1910. 

The Dundee Hydraulic Power Company constructed a concrete dam in 1910 and established electricity in the town of Dundee.

Detroit Edison took over the electricity in the town of Dundee and as a consequence the old mill stood abandoned.  Henry Ford bought the mill in 1835 and restored it where the timbers needed replacement with new hand-hewn timbers and boards.  After Henry Ford restore and updated the Dundee Mill it was an impressive site.  Ford added a one level limestone building, a tall stone smoke stack and a lower stone level.  With his new construction, Ford added a Leffel Turbine that was powered by a generator, a foundry and steam boilers. 

After the depression and Ford’s subsequent passing, the mill was purchased by the Wolverine Manufacturing Company in 1954 as a paper mill and gasket production machines through 1970.    The Mill was then sold to the Village of Dundee in 1970 for $1.00.

The mill was abandoned until it was taken over by the Old Mill Restoration Committee in 1981.  The Restoration Committee restored the mill and created three levels of museum artifacts that include historic furniture, farm life and Native American history from the near by Macon Reserve.  The Museum also includes Henry Ford’s hydro-electric generator. (www.dundeeoldmill.com)





Top of Page